Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pick-Your-Own Apple Season Has Begun

   Our main apple harvest season, and pick-your-own apple season, has begun.  I've already harvested many 'Enterprise' apples and have them for sale, and there are still plenty of 'Enterprise' apples for pick-your-own customers.  'Enterprise' apples are sweet-tart, great for both fresh eating and baking, stay crisp and juicy for 6 to 8 months in a refrigerator, and are a favorite of many customers.
'Enterprise' apples (foreground) are ripening, so customers and I are harvesting them.  'GoldRush' apples in background will start ripening in mid-Oct.
   I'm also harvesting several other apple varieties, and several selections from my apple breeding program.  I use apple scab-immune varieties or selections as parents, and the gene for scab-immunity is dominant, so all progeny will also be immune to apple scab disease.  That means we don't have to spray for that disease, so scab-immune varieties need 33% fewer fungicide sprays than do scab-susceptible varieties such as 'Jonathan' or 'Golden Delicious'.  This year I've named several apple selections, and have small amounts of these for sale.  I give taste samples of all pear and apple varieties and selections.
'Enterprise' apples (foreground) are a favorite of many customers.  The 2nd box holds 'Pink Sun', a selection from 'Sundance' open-pollinated that I named this year.  The 3rd box holds 'Sunrise', another selection from my apple breeding program that resulted from a cross of 'Jonafree' with 'Sundance'.
   We still have harvested 'Luscious' European pears and 'Shinko' Asian pears for sale, for the same price as harvested apples.  Scroll down to older posts for harvested and pick-your-own prices.
   We still have some cracked 'Pawnee' pecans for sale, for $14.86 + tax per 5-lb. bag.  'Pawnee' is a very large pecan variety with great taste.  Lots of great recipes using apples and pecans are posted as Notes on the Brenda's Berries page on Facebook.

'Sunset' is another selection from my apple breeding program that resulted from a cross of 'Sundance' and Coop 34.
   We're now open our fall hours: Mondays to Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and 1 to 6 p.m. on Sundays, until Nov. 30.  I appreciate phone messages letting me know when you're coming.  If you drop by and I don't see you come in, since I'm out harvesting apples or Asian pears, ring the bell on the sales building.