Saturday, September 5, 2015

Many Pears & Some Early Apples Ripe

   Many customers visited our farm from Sept. 1 to 4, many wanting peaches, so we sold out of peaches a few days earlier than expected.  Peach harvest is now over, and we are sold out of peaches for the year.
   'Blake's Pride' and 'Luscious' European pears are still ripening plentifully.  This morning two of our workers, Tim Epler and Luke Laws, and I harvested about 350 pounds of 'Luscious' European pears, so we now have plenty for sale.  Thankfully Tim and Luke will help pick pears again on Monday, as Labor Day is a school holiday.
I've harvested many 'Blake's Pride' pears, and today our workers and I harvested many 'Luscious' European pears.
   I've also harvested many 'Blake's Pride' pears and some 'Shinko' Asian pears and have these for sale.  I'm harvesting several early apple varieties, but most of these sell within hours of picking, since we only have a few trees of apple varieties that fruit this early.  Our main apple harvest season, and pick-your-own apple season, runs from about Sept. 24 to about Nov. 12 or 15.
'Jonasun', a selection from my apple breeding program that I just named this year, is one of the few early apple varieties that I'm picking.
   Crabapples are starting to ripen on our two crabapple trees.  Those who want to make crabapple jelly should phone 620-597-2450 and let us know when you want to come pick crabapples or if you want to buy harvested crabapples.  Prices are the same per pound as harvested or pick-your-own apples (see our price sheet or the previous blog post), but you get a lot more crabapples per pound since they're so much smaller.
   From Sept. 1 to Nov. 30 we're open our fall hours: Mon. to Sat. 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., & Sundays 1 to 6 p.m.  As stated in the last blog post, I'm very busy harvesting pears and early apples all around the farm, and often can't see the driveway from the orchards.  While harvesting, I put up a sign on the sales building, saying to ring the bell.  I hear that and come to the sales building.